The high relief decoration in the front was designed by Diego Rivera and created as a mosaic using naturally colored stones. , The feast day of Saint Ursula, patroness of Santa Ursula Coapa last for about a week. While the growing business helps the economy, resident groups fear that the area will lose its current character, as many businesses are opening in formerly residential buildings, with questionable legal basis. This trolley was initially pulled by mules but later it became electrified.  When the plazas reopened in 2009, there were confrontations between the vendors and authorities, both on the plazas with police and in the courts, despite the fact that the borough built a nearby bazaar on Felipe Carrillo Puerto.  Another serious problem for the area is the traffic jams and serious lack of parking in the historic center. Today, the center has three art galleries, named after Alfredo Ramos Martinez, Guillermo Kahlo and Miguel Alvarez Acosta to house temporary exhibits, an area to teach the culinary arts and two multiuse rooms.  Its people were Tecpanecas, who were farmers and stoneworkers specializing in the volcanic stone from the old lava flow of Xitle. Its currently named after a journalist and ideologue from the Mexican Revolution. One known food vendor goes by the name of Rogelio. The borough contains 167,157 housing units with between two and four occupant, which is 7.5% of the total of the District. Word went out to try to find which church the image belonged to. Xochimilco, Liga de Escritores y Artistas Revolucionarios, Die Errichtung der 16 Stadtbezirke von Mexiko-Stadt, Vorlage:Webachiv/IABot/www.mexico-tenoch.com, Offizielle Website der Delegación Coyoacán, Vorlage:Webachiv/IABot/www.coyoacan.df.gob.mx, Vorlage:Webachiv/IABot/www.experiensense.com, Vorstellung eines Buches über Coyoacán (spanisch), Vorlage:Webachiv/IABot/www.libreenelsur.mx, https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Coyoacán&oldid=205170741, Wikipedia:Defekte Weblinks/Ungeprüfte Archivlinks 2019-03, Wikipedia:Defekte Weblinks/Ungeprüfte Archivlinks 2018-04, „Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike“. Rivera and Kahlo's presence gave the area a bohemian reputation. Símbolo de la alcaldía de Coyoacán.jpg 3,984 × 2,988; 6.23 MB. Decomposing volcanic rock is mostly found by the former lake. Iztacalco | In the evening, food vendors tend to sell more hot items such as quesadillas, sopes, tortas, tostadas, pozoles and more. The village, later municipality, of Coyoacán remained completely independent of Mexico City through the colonial period into the 19th century. The theater remains as one of the more important cultural venues in the borough.  Parks and other green spaces cover 4,318,783.56m2 and can be found in most of the communities of the borough. August 1847 stellten sich an jenem Ort mexikanische Truppen den nordamerikanischen Invasoren entgegen. Viveros de Coyoacan (2546307611).jpg 2,304 × 3,072; 3.36 MB. The Biblioteca Central (Central Library) is a large rectangular prism in the center of the campus.  In the center of the plaza, there is a fountain which contains a bronze sculpture of two coyotes, which refer to the borough's name.  Calle Francisco Sosa alone has 65 structures catalogued by INAH for their historic value. In spite of the house's historic and aesthetic value, it receives little attention. Die international bekanntesten Attraktionen von Coyoacán sind die Casa Azul, in dem Frida Kahlo geboren wurde und die meiste Zeit ihres Lebens verbrachte, sowie das heutige Museo Casa León Trotsky, das Kahlo dem nach Mexiko immigrierten russischen Revolutionär schenkte und in dem dieser von Jaime Ramón Mercader del Río Hernández mit einem Eispickel ermordet wurde. Zwar mussten sie sich letztendlich der Übermacht geschlagen geben, werden dafür aber bis zum heutigen Tag verehrt. , The rest of the historic center and nearby neighborhoods are filled with homes built from the colonia era to the middle of the 20th century, many of which have been catalogued for their historic value.  Renovation of the two plazas and the streets around them cost 88.3 million pesos. During the sixteenth century and into the seventeenth, there was an active Spanish land market in Coyoacán, with many bills of sale in Nahuatl found in the archives. Another street with a number of country mansions and homes is Calle de Fernandez Leal, mostly built at the beginning of the 20th century.  This has deforested the area and depleted the soil leaving very little wildlife. The mural in the chapel was done by Diego Rosales in 1961, depicting the early history of Mexico with personages such as Cuauhtémoc, Cortés, La Malinche and Pedro de Alvarado. The Aztecs gave the area its current name; however their rule was hated by the native Tepanecas, who welcomed Hernán Cortés and the Spanish, allowing them to use this southern port on Lake Texcoco as a headquarters during the conquest of Tenochtitlan. The north side reflects the pre-Hispanic period; the south reflects the colonial period and the east is from the modern period.  In the past, this park was also home to the first Escuela Nacional de Tauromaquia (National School of Bullfighting).  In March 2008, the two plazas were closed off by authorities for renovation work, forcing the removal of more than 500 street stalls for renovation of the two plazas and the streets around them costing 88.3 million pesos. After the Aztec capital was destroyed, Cortés remained in Coyoacán and made it the first capital of New Spain from 1521 to 1523. It has served as an administrative/governmental building since it was constructed in the 18th century. In the church a special altar is installed and mass is said all day. , The Juárez Institute is located on the corner of Cuauhtemoc and Abasolo Streets. , The current structure was built in the mid 18th century, by Cortés’ descendants, who still carried the title of the Marquis of the Valle de Oaxaca to replace the old structure, which had deteriorated.  The borough is part of the Pánuco River Basin, in the subregion of the Lake Texcoco Zumpango. , The Casa del Sol (House of the Sun) was constructed by the Aguilar and Quevedo families. The San Lucas and San Mateo barrios are sliced through by small arroyos and used to be surrounded by cornfields and pastures for cattle.  The neighborhood centers on a small plaza with a church just southeast of Villa Coyoacán or the historic center. The reason for this is that La Malinche is often blamed for the downfall of the Aztec Empire, acting as a traitor to her own people.  De conformidad a los datos del Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI), la Alcaldía de Coyoacán cuenta con 620,416 habitantes, de la cual, la población que cuenta con acceso a los servicios de salud es de 77.8%, en comparación con países miembros de la OCDE, México se encuentra por debajo del promedio.  According to INAH, the plaza was a pre-Hispanic ceremonial center, upon which Cortés had this chapel built. This street is lined with bookstores, such as Nalanda, El Sotano de Coyoacán, “Octavio Paz” and two branches of the Gandhi chain. The most important elevation is in the far south called the Cerro Zacatépetl which rises to 2420masl. This street used to have a trolley car that linked the historic center of Coyoacán with San Ángel and Churubusco. The house underwent modification in the 1930s. Traffic in Coyoacán is some of the worst in the city. It is also used for other events, including concerts, and hosted two FIFA World Cups. It was declared a National Monument in 1932. , Plaza Hidalgo, also called Jardín (garden) Hidalgo is the main plaza or square of the borough. Mimes, clowns, musicians, folk and indigenous dancers, storytellers and other street performers can be found entertaining crowds.  The area's popularity, both as a place to live and as a place to visit on weekends, along with its narrow winding streets has caused it to have some of the worst traffic problems in the city, with traffic jams and parking problems. The murals relate to the history of Mexico. The west side is meant to represent Mexico today with the coat of arms of the university in the center with José Vasconcelos’ motto of “Por mi raza hablará mi espíritu” (For my race, speaks my spirit.). Iztapalapa | These two rivers join to form the Río Churubusco on the border with Benito Juárez.  Behind it is a sculpture carved from a tree trunk called “La Familia de Antonio Alvarez Portual y Josué. Cuajimalpa | The best known of the areas with still-hard lava rock is called the Pedregal, which covers the communities of the Ciudad Universitaria, the Pedregal de Carrasco, Santa Úrsula Coapa, Copilco el Alto, Viveros de Coyocan and the Villa de Coyoacán or historic center. , Most of the borough located at 2240 meters above sea level with little variation. 19.349444444444-99.161666666667Koordinaten: 19° 20′ 58″ N, 99° 9′ 42″ W, Coyoacán (Ort der Kojoten in Nahuatl) ist ein südlicher Stadtbezirk (delegación) von Mexiko-Stadt, der bis zur Bildung der Stadtbezirke (delegaciones) 1929 eine eigenständige Gemeinde war..  The area is filled with mostly single family homes, which were former mansions and country homes built between the colonial period to the mid 20th century.  It also has a series of nude sculpture by Gabriel Ponzanelli..  This chapel was built for use by the indigenous population in the very early colonial period. The feast day for this neighborhood is 8 December. Bis zur Mitte des 19. The Casa Colorada or Casa de la Malinche is located on a corner of the Plaza La Conchita, but it is not open to the public. The museum also contains a café and a small gift shop.  After the Zocalo, the most-visited place in Mexico City is this historic center, especially the twin plazas in its center. When the borough of Coyoacán was created in 1928, as part of the Federal District, the building remained the government seat but of the modern “delegación.” The structure was declared a Colonial Monument by INAH in 1932.  Many of the old villages were linked by a trolley on Santa Catarina Road, now Francisco Sosa. Representatives of various communities come to claim it, but none could lift the image. Cortés blieb während des Wiederaufbaus von Mexiko-Stadt bis 1523 in Coyohuacan, das zu jener Zeit etwa 7.000 Einwohner zählte. , The Sala Nezahualcóyotl is a concert hall and the main site for the UNAM philharmonic orchestra. Today, it is still private property but is used as a restaurant. Neighborhood groups have formed to confront the changes and preserve the historic value of the area. It was constructed in 1906 as a residence for Bertha Vizcayno de Vergara who remained there until 1967.  The official name of the building is the Purísima Concepción Chapel, but its more common name is La Conchita, a nickname for “Concepción” (literally, “the little shell”). At the very front is a sculpture of two coyotes in volcanic stone, the current logo of the borough. It was built in 1890 and named in honour of Carmen Romero, the wife of then president Porfirio Díaz, and it is best known for having several of the borough's museums and other landmarks. Miguel Hidalgo | , Running across the borough from the east end and ending in the west near the university campus is Avenida Miguel Angel de Quevedo. The Viveros de Coyoacán is located on the west side of the borough just north of the Ciudad Universitaria. The house contains a selection of Kahlo's personal art collection and a large collection of pre-Hispanic artifacts, Mexican folk art (mostly indigenous inspired jewelry and clothes which she wore) and works by José María Velasco, Paul Klee and Diego Rivera. Much of the work was to make straight many of the walls and floors, which had cracked and warped. When U.S. General David Twiggs asked Mexican General Pedro María de Anaya to surrender his ammunition, the reply is said to have been "If there were any, you would not be here." Inside, there is a small house and garden.  In der Mitte der Parkanlage befindet sich eine Statue mit zwei Kojoten, den Namensgebern der Gemeinde. A few days later a “tlachiquero” (one who takes nectar out of maguey plants) heard a child's cry in the area and found the image.  In total, the borough contains 349 registered buildings of cultural or historic importance, with 157 of these in the historic center. This glyph was likely devised when the pre-Hispanic settlement was founded around the 10th and 12th century.. , The name comes from the Nahuatl original “Coyohuacán”. , While lacking in landmarks, La Candelaria and Los Reyes are considered to be the two most traditional communities in the borough, with mostly religious traditions that extend back into the colonial period. In spite of the fact that there are six parking garages in the historic center, drivers in the area still jockey for spaces on the street.  Over time, as the complex deteriorated and was reconstructed and restored various time, most was replaced so that now the only original parts from the 16th century are the choir area, the Rosario Chapel and the main altar. Leon Trotsky lived close by Rivera and Kahlo and was murdered by one of Stalin's agents. The first is that redevelopment will take over areas which still maintain some of their rural or village feel, which has happened in other formerly independent communities. The first three days are dedicated to 40 hours of prayer. Illiteracy is lower here than in the rest of the Federal District at 1.9% for residents over the age of 15. , On Calle Fernández Leal you can also find the Elena Garro Cultural Center. The area's Nahuatl glyph prominently depicts the figure of a coyote in profile, with its tongue hanging out and down halfway across the body where it curls. , Sixty-nine percent of the land is residential, 60% is open or green space and the rest is mixed use or commercial. Información institucional, atención a los ciudadanos, servicios, cartografía y publicaciones. Once part of a hacienda, behind the building there are large gardens filled with vegetation.  One of the main goals of the renovation work in 2008 was to remove these vendors and move them to a new crafts bazaar built nearby. , Centro Nacional de las Artes (National Arts Center) is located on Avenida Rio Churubusco just east of Calazada de Tlalpan. To distinguish it from the rest of Coyoacán borough, the former independent community is referred to as Villa Coyoacán or the historic center of the borough. About 55% of the population is of working age with less than 2% unemployed.  In the two main plazas and even in smaller ones such as the one in the neighboring Santa Catarina neighborhood. The house is on a property, which was called Izotitlán, meaning “izotes” a type of wild palm to make hats. This work moved to areas in and around the Plaza Hidalgo and Plaza del Centenario in 2008, with the main goals being the redesign of the plazas, the renovation of the Parish of San Juan Bautista and the removal of street stalls in and around the plazas. Sometime after that, it was replaced by modern busses. Inside this space is exposed naturally occurring volcanic stone. The mansion of the early twentieth century, illuminated by its glass windows, calls readers to walk among its high shelves of two floors and to know its wide range of titles. It has high outer walls and watchtowers once occupied by armed guards. Coyoacán (US: /ˌkɔɪoʊəˈkɑːn/ KOY-oh-ə-KAHN, Spanish: [koʝoaˈkan] (listen)) is a municipality (alcaldía) of Mexico City and the former village that is now the borough’s “historic center”.  As the plaza is named after Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, a statue of the priest, created by Luis Arias can also be found on the plaza. Originally, these gardens were watered with river flow from the Río Magdalena, but this river is no longer accessible because it is encased. Today, the church site has a modern structure on it, built by architect Enrique de la Mora. Coyoacán (Ort der Kojoten in Nahuatl) ist ein südlicher Stadtbezirk (delegación) von Mexiko-Stadt, der bis zur Bildung der Stadtbezirke (delegaciones) 1929 eine eigenständige Gemeinde war. , The San José del Altillo Church is located on the corner of Avenida Universidad and Miguel Angel de Quevedo.  The complex also houses the Instituto del Derecho de Asilo y las Libertades Públicas (Institute for the Right of Asylum and Public Liberties) which was founded in 1990 and the Rafael Galván Library, which contains a collection of books with social themes.  Other issues are graffiti and vandalism, and other crimes, the most serious of which is theft/robbery, followed by assault. Another main road in the borough is La Higuera, which links Plaza Hidalgo which the La Conchita Plaza in the La Concepción neighborhood. Some of these businesses have been around for almost a century. It was long thought to have belonged to conquistador Diego de Ordaz, who died in 1532, but research has shown that it was built sometime in the 18th century.  Built between 1520 and 1552, it is one of three oldest parish churches in Mexico City, along with the ones in Tlalpan and the small community of Amaqueman.  The oldest of these divisions are former villages which are distinguished by their colonial era churches and who still celebrate their feast of their patron saint much as they did when they were independent, with fireworks, masses, processions, folk and indigenous dance and more. The event is organized by 24 civil associations and the chaplains of the parish. The name comes from the inscription of "Casa de Cristo" over the main entrance. Beide Anwesen befinden sich in der Colonia del Carmen und sind heute Museen.  Much of Los Reyes’ traditions revolve around a crucifix imaged called the Señor de las Misericordias. This allowed the area to maintain many of its plazas and narrow cobblestone streets to this day. Studies were done on the building to determine what materials in what colors were used in order to use the same. , According to legend, the San Antonio Panzacola Chapel was built by the mother of a group of smugglers to fulfill a promise or to offer gratitude. Culturally, they are still distinguished by having their own histories and legends. This main chapel and plaza are called the Purísima Concepción Chapel and the Plaza de la Conchita. However, Coyoacán generates only 7.2% of all crime reports in Mexico City. A number of these villages also have certain unique traditions associated with these celebrations. Opposition to the removal of the vendors came not only from the vendors themselves, but also from some neighborhood groups and local businesses who feared their removal would hurt tourism. Today it belongs to Fernandez's daughter, Adela. Unter der Avenida Universidad, die die westliche Grenze von Coyoacán bildet, verkehrt die Metro-Linie 3. On the east side is an unfinished work related to the culture of Mexico. It is located just west of the Plaza del Centenario along Calle Francisco Sosa. Against Aztec domination, these people welcomed Hernán Cortés and the Spanish, who used the area as a headquarters during the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire and made it the first capital of New Spain between 1521 and 1523. , The Estadio Olímpico México 68 is the main sports facility built for the Olympic Games of 1968 held in Mexico City. , Despite its rural past with villages and farmlands, today the borough is urban, with all of its territory paved and developed with the exception of parks and other reserved green spaces as it is completely integrated with the urban sprawl of Mexico City. The name means “house of Anáhuac” Anáhuac was the Nahuatl name for the Valley of Mexico. This historic center has the most with fifty buildings on 86 blocks over 1.64km2.  Local legend states that this was the location were Cuauhtémoc was tortured as the Spanish tried to learn of the whereabouts of more treasure. Gustavo A. Madero |  The borough contains 228 preschools, 227 primary schools, 103 middle schools, and 66 technical, preparatory and other high schools serving about 155,000 students. According to the borough, the area receives about 70,000 people each weekend. The house looks like a fortress, and it was fortified to protect Trotsky from assassins. Behind this house is the Callejón del Aguacate, which is said to be haunted by the ghost associated with the woman, and local school children are known to go looking for the ghost. It was built in the 19th century. It is a very large structure for the area, filled with trees and plants both inside and out. Ciudad Universitaria is very large, so you might need a Ciudad Universitaria's map. What Cortés eventually built here where administrative buildings for the offices used to manage the vast lands he was granted as the Marquis del Valle de Oaxaca, which included the Coyoacán area. Other forms of entertainment included picking fruit from trees or horse racing on Xicotencatl Street. , The Casa Alvarado is now the home of the Fonoteca National or National Sound Library. The idea is to combine nature and art and represents the cosmology of pre-Hispanic Mexico. , The tourism has been a mixed blessing for the historic center as commercial establishments open, helping the economy, but also push residents out. It conserves a large part of the original wood beams and decorative work in wood which was done by indigenous hands. It is said that Cortés built it for La Malinche, and historians believe Cortés had his Spanish wife, Catalina Juárez de Marcaida, murdered there. , The Coyoacán Market was built in 1956 by Pedro Ramírez Vázquez in a Functionalist style on a site that originally housed stables and horse corrals. , The Casa del Indio Fernández House is located on Dulce Oliva Street in Barrio de Santa Catarina. Octavio Paz died here in 1998. Prior to this, there had been no restoration work to the building for about a century. In the ruins of this structure he visualized a theater and hired Alejandro Prieto to make the adaptation. The Mexicans, aided by the "Saint Patrick's Battalion", a military unit composed of catholic immigrants (mainly Irish), had fortified the monastery and fought until they ran out of ammunition and then beaten only after hand-to-hand combat. Cortés did live in Coyoacán in 1521 and 1522, while the destroyed Aztec city of Tenochtitlan was being rebuilt into Mexico City, and the area was the capital of the colony of New Spain. Today, this road extends from Plaza Hidalgo to the Panzacola Bridge in Santa Catarina. The brothers cultivated a number of crops including fruit trees and flowers.  The museum was created in 1982, to show the values and ways of live of the various modern cultural groups in Mexico. Estadio Azteca, located in the Santa Ursula area, is the home of the Club América and Mexican national soccer teams. The San Antonio barrio is very small with an equally small chapel by the name of San Antonio Panzacola. The festival begins with chamber music and then the patron image of the Virgin Mary is “awakened” with the song Las Mañanitas as she is surrounded by numerous floral arrangements for mass. The bookstores are here because the area is close to the Ciudad Universitaria and the student population that lives in the area. This structure is an adobe and stone mansion with a flat red façade with Moorish style decorative features. It houses the cultural offices of the Italian Embassy. The collection includes an American map of the facility from 1847, artifacts from the French Intervention in Mexico and a plot by Henry Lane Wilson to bring down the government of Francisco I. Madero in 1913. The room in which Trotsky was killed remains exactly as it was at that moment, including the papers and the books in their exact positions. This entrance was built in the 16th century of stone with decorative motifs that show both European and indigenous influence. However, the chronicler of the borough, Luis Everaert, stated that the only original part of the building was the facade, which was not changed.